Over the weekend, the New York Times profiled Terry Richardson in light of his first solo exhibition in Los Angeles, Terrywood. Five things we learned about the controversial photographer from the article, below.
1. He buys his signature plaid shirts for $5 on eBay.
2. His response to the media attention a couple of years ago spurred by models (like Coco Rocha) who gave interviews saying they weren’t comfortable working with him: “Of course it was hurtful. Yes, I was upset. It’s not nice for all these people to make up stuff about you. The flip side is, I just stopped reading it and I kept working.”
3. People often approach him on the street, doing his signature smile and thumbs-up. “Now, it’s branded,” he says, explaining the gestures are “an obvious kind of way people can’t read exactly what you are thinking or feeling.”
4. He was a heroin addict by 18 (“Do you have to mention that?” he asks), but says he no longer take drugs, drinks, or smokes cigarettes.
5. Jared Leto, who was attached to Richardson’s hip at the recent New York Fashion Week, calls their friendship a “bromance.”