In an ideal world, one visit to the gym every few months, at the turn of each season for example, would remedy that blossoming muffin top. Of course, that’s unrealistic. According to Rossano Ferretti, it’s also an unrealistic approach to your hair. Inspired by LA’s award season and troubled by the amount of unhealthy hair he’s seen on red carpets thus far, all of Ferretti’s salons (including his just-opened-this-week London digs) are launching a 3-month Hair Boot Camp program for the hair troubled—or at least the deeply dedicated. Like any boot camp, it involves a series of steps to getting your locks in “tip top” shape:
1. Get the once over from a sanctioned stylist and colorist, assessing your needs. (Not surprisingly, the first step is admitting you have a problem.
2. A 45-minute scalp massage (which already makes the rest of the process worth it) and either a Shu Uemura Ceremony or Kérastase conditioning treatment with specific boosters for winter worn split-ends, cowlicks or rogue frizz. Warm blankets and iPod playlists are offered up along with espresso and special Lambrusco imported from Parma.
3. A trim or shaping based on the salon mogul’s signature “Metodo” styling method, which involves cutting with the natural fall of the hair and a symbiotic relationship between “hair, body and personality” (an explanation that sounds better in an Italian accent).
4. Color, if you need, which is L’Oreal’s INOA ammonia-free.
5. Nutrition suggestions (no joke) based on particular problems like Omega-3 Fatty Acids (salmon, walnuts, pumpkin seeds) for dry scalp, Vitamin A & C (kale, cantaloupe, sweet potatoes) for dry hair or Biotin (brown rice, legumes, Swiss chard) for thinness.
6. A schedule of regular check-ups over three months with trims and custom conditioning treatments at specific intervals based on hair length, density and damage.
Hey, it’s way less work than going to the gym.